If you’re a conscientious, self-motivated professional who values quality, communicates clearly and is excited about contributing to the growth of an emerging company, we’d love to hear from you.
Market Maker Agriculture is an investor in agribusinesses: a financial investor with operational expertise and a passion for fairness and success. Our aspiration is to strengthen agribusinesses in Canada and the USA.
A critical sector in our economy and the fabric of North America, small and mid-size agribusiness owners are often undercapitalized and have few options when facing succession or transition. Market Maker provides an option: we acquire and strengthen these businesses, help owners to retire or offload some of the financial risk, and look to existing employees to continue to run operations, protecting jobs and legacy. We invest for the long term, so as part of our portfolio, agribusinesses enjoy longevity and access to capital and best-in-class business practices with reduced risk.
Market Maker itself is a team of professionals. We each have our own expertise and lead strategic functions, within our acquisition growth strategy, in a highly collaborative and coordinated way. We’re a tightly knit, dynamic team. We know when to challenge each other, when to follow, and when to lead.
We’re currently searching for a Paralegal to help us realize our growth aspirations. Reporting to the VP Acquisitions and working closely with the entire team, in this role you’ll play a key part in building relationships, project management of all definitive agreements needed to successfully close the acquisition of a new business and point of contact with external law firms and other service providers.
This role is based out of our Ottawa office, though we’re willing to consider strong remote candidates. We also offer hybrid work location between our Ottawa office and your “home office” if desired. Unless circumstances require something different, the team is currently committed to being physically at the office Tuesdays and Wednesdays. Although the office is always available, and for the foreseeable future, it’s your choice where you prefer to work on those other days.
- Primary role: Internal lead / project manager for:
- all definitive agreements for prospective business acquisitions. Plan, coordinate and participate in review meetings and document comments for external counsel.
- Internal investment recommendation document for Investment Committee and Board of Directors.
- due diligence activities and deliverables.
- disclosure schedules (re: asset purchase agreement)
- Secondary role:
- preparation and maintenance of corporate records, including investment committee and board meeting minutes, resolutions, and other governance documents.
- Legal support in other areas of the business as required.
The Ideal Candidate:
As an ideal candidate, you’re a detail-oriented, resourceful self-starter with a passion for analyzing and understanding business structures, mechanisms, and challenges. You might even have some experience in mergers & acquisitions. You love learning and you’re good at it. You’re honest, genuine, and curious, highly skilled in communicating and building rapport with employees, partners, and stakeholders. Finally, like us, your strong drive and ambition are balanced by your collaborative nature and humility.
- 3-5 years of experience in a corporate and commercial legal environment.
- a Paralegal (or equivalent) degree or a related combination of education and experience.
- experience in M&A is a significant asset.
- outstanding project management skills with exceptional attention to detail.
- strong legal and business mind.
- strong working knowledge of Word, Adobe, SharePoint tools, data/file sharing tools (virtual room).
- Exceptional Communicator: Verbal and written communications skills with the ability and confidence to initiate and develop relationships with a broad range of individuals from senior executives, lawyers, brokers, and investment advisors, through to owners within the agriculture sector.
- Empathetic Listener: You listen to understand and meet someone where they are: with potential acquirees, internal stakeholders. They have an immediate sense of your deep understanding of their situation and what matters to them.
- Relationship Builder: You can flex your personal style to adapt to different personalities. You create a connection that lasts beyond initial meetings with a growing trust and authenticity.
- Curious and Resourceful: You always find a way to get the job done and produce creative solutions to address whatever problems are standing in your way. You are insatiably curious, leading with curiosity and data in decision making.
- Collaborator with a make-it-happen attitude and spirit: You work seamlessly with the entire team to ensure a collective approach where shared success combines energy, ideas, and execution.
- Contributor: Energetic, personable and results oriented implementing high quality best practices related to knowledge gathering, creation of standards, maintaining consistency and documentation
- Initiator: Confident self-starter with a ‘can-do’ attitude. Ability to act proactively and work independently in a self-directed manner.
Please send your resume and cover letter to our recruitment partner at email@example.com
If you apply through LinkedIn, please note that LinkedIn only allows you to attach one file to your application, so be sure to combine your cover letter and resume into a single document.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Market Maker values diversity and is committed to fostering an environment of inclusion and equity. We strongly encourage applicants from diverse backgrounds to apply.
We are proud to accommodate individuals with disabilities throughout the recruitment and selection process. Please include accommodation requests in your application.