If you’re a conscientious, self-motivated professional who values quality, communicates clearly and is excited about contributing to the growth of an emerging company, we’d love to hear from you.
Market Maker Agriculture is a long‐term hold, private equity company that invests in agribusinesses across North America. Today, Market Maker includes four portfolio companies, with ambitious to grow the portfolio substantially over the next decade.
A critical sector in our economy and the fabric of North America, small and mid‐size agribusiness owners are often undercapitalized and have few options when facing succession or transition. Market Maker provides an option: we acquire and strengthen these businesses, help owners to retire or offload some of the financial risk, and look to existing employees to continue to run operations, protecting jobs and legacy. We invest for the long term, so as part of our portfolio, agribusinesses enjoy longevity and access to capital and best‐in‐class business practices with reduced risk.
Market Maker is looking for an Assistant Controller who is excited about contributing to the growth of an emerging company. The ideal candidate is curious, possesses a great attention to detail, strong analytical and organizational skills, and has the ability to manage conflicting priorities. This position offers unique exposure to high‐level strategy development, complex accounting and consolidations and merger and acquisition (M&A) transactions. This position offers many exciting learning opportunities for someone who is driven and ambitious!
- Preparation of the external financial statements and year‐end working papers for annual audits and assisting the auditors as required.
- Preparation of the monthly consolidated and non‐consolidated financial statements including all customary reconciliations, schedules and entries.
- Involvement in strategic planning in connection with the annual budgeting process.
- Preparation of consolidated and non‐consolidated budgets and forecasts and presentation to management.
- Preparation of quarterly and annual budget variance analyses.
- Monitor and enhance systems, policies, procedures, and controls to deliver precise, timely and accurate financial data that satisfy the needs of management and external stakeholders.
- Review and analysis of historical financial statements and forecasts from our portfolio companies, including identifying any reporting deficiencies or improvement opportunities
- Involvement in tax compliance activities including the preparation of year‐end income tax return and tax provision.
- Involvement in office administration, bookkeeping, payroll, accounts payable, accounts receivable, and other accounting cycles.
- Contribute to the preparation of reporting packages for the board of directors and its sub‐committees, financial institutions, and other stakeholders.
- Contribute to activities related to tax planning, corporate governance, risk management, IT and HR/payroll
- Act as the primary point of contact for company’s public accountants, financial institutions, insurance brokers, and other service providers
- Contribute to ad hoc projects and acquisitions
- Bachelor of Commerce with a concentration in accounting (or equivalent degree).
- Chartered Professional Accountant (CPA) designation.
- 3+ years of relevant accounting experience.
- Proficient with Microsoft 365 Suite, especially with Excel.
- Experience in leading teams is considered an asset.
- Experience and interest in IT projects and systems implementation is an asset.
- Familiarity with QuickBooks Online and Workday Adaptive Planning is also considered an asset.
To apply for the position of Assistant Controller with Market Maker Agriculture, please submit your
resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.