If you’re a conscientious, self-motivated professional who values quality, communicates clearly and is excited about contributing to the growth of an emerging company, we’d love to hear from you.
Market Maker Agriculture is an investor in agribusinesses: a financial investor with operational expertise and a passion for fairness and success. Our aspiration is to strengthen agribusinesses in Canada and the USA.
A critical sector in our economy and the fabric of North America, small and mid-size agribusiness owners are often undercapitalized and have few options when facing succession or transition. Market Maker provides an option: we acquire and strengthen these businesses, help owners to retire or offload some of the financial risk, and look to existing employees to continue to run operations, protecting jobs and legacy. We invest for the long term, so as part of our portfolio, agribusinesses enjoy longevity and access to capital and best-in-class business practices with reduced risk.
Market Maker itself is a team of professionals. We each have our own expertise and lead strategic functions, within our acquisition growth strategy, in a highly collaborative and coordinated way. We’re a tightly knit, dynamic team. We know when to challenge each other, when to follow, and when to lead.
We’re currently searching for a Business Development Director to help us realize our growth aspirations. Reporting to the VP Business Development and working closely with the entire team, in this role you’ll play an integral role in expanding our network of connectors and investment advisors, researching and analyzing target opportunities, building relationships, and functioning as a key point of contact as opportunities move through their initial stages.
This position represents an exceptional growth opportunity, offering the incumbent a clear path to succeeding the current VP Business Development.
This is a hybrid role based out of our Ottawa office, though we’re willing to consider strong remote candidates.
- Build and maintain Market Maker’s network of connectors and investment advisors, which could include developing marketing programs
- Analyze, maintain, and develop our Salesforce database of all target opportunities, contacts, and development phases
- Identify and analyze segments and related industries in the agribusiness sector to determine appropriate target opportunities based on specific company characteristics
- Conduct initial analysis of target opportunities in the business development qualification phase, triaging and analyzing the opportunity according to a proven methodology, which includes reviewing the Confidential Information Memorandum and conducting additional research to better understand the opportunity
- Function as key contact for the connector and/or investment advisor during the qualification process and through to the Indication of Interest, ensuring the target opportunity progresses. This includes leading discussions with connectors and/or investment advisors (and potentially target management) to uncover information about the target opportunity
- Present certain opportunities and initial BD qualification findings to the Investment Committee
- Build relationships with target opportunities selling the unique Market Maker philosophy and long-term buy and grow strategy
- Develop an understanding of target companies’ and industries’ markets, customers, customer value, suppliers, and associated multi-year patterns and trends, supporting risk identification and analysis, from the Indication of Interest through to due diligence and closing
- Support acquisition team members on analysis of the target opportunity management team
The Ideal Candidate:
As an ideal candidate, you’re a detail-oriented, resourceful self-starter with a passion for analyzing and understanding business structures, mechanisms and challenges. You know your way around financial statements, and you might even have some experience in mergers & acquisitions. You love learning and you’re good at it. You’re honest, genuine and curious, highly skilled in communicating and building rapport with prospects, partners and stakeholders. Finally, like us, your strong drive and ambition are balanced by your collaborative nature and humility.
- 4+ years of experience in business development / lead generation
- A degree in finance, business admin or a related combination of education and experience
- Experience in M&A is a significant asset
- Outstanding business acumen
- Skilled and experienced in strategic communications
- Knowledge of Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Salesforce
- Exceptional Communicator: Verbal and written communications skills with the ability and confidence to initiate and develop relationships with a broad range of individuals from senior executives, lawyers, brokers, and investment advisors, through to owners within the agriculture sector
- Empathetic Listener: You listen to understand and meet someone where they are: with connectors, potential acquirees, internal stakeholders. They have an immediate sense of your deep understanding of their situation and what matters to them
- Relationship Builder: You can flex your personal style to adapt to different personalities. You create a connection that lasts beyond initial meetings with a growing trust and authenticity
- Analytical Thinker: You have an ability to take complex and variable information from a wide variety of sources and develop deep understanding of key indicators of risk and success with strong data management and analysis skills
- Curious and Resourceful: You always find a way to get the job done and produce creative solutions to address whatever problems are standing in your way. You are insatiably curious, leading with curiosity and data in decision making
- Collaborator with a make-it-happen attitude and spirit: You work seamlessly with the entire team to ensure a collective approach where shared success combines the energy, ideas, and execution of many
- Contributor: Energetic, personable and results oriented implementing high quality best practices related to knowledge gathering, creation of standards, maintaining consistency and documentation
- Strategic Thinker: Strategic marketing and sales knowledge with an ability to assess a target opportunity’s ability to generate the revenue described in the underwriting
- Initiator: Confident self-starter with a ‘can-do’ attitude. Ability to act proactively and work independently in a self-directed manner
- Inquisitive: Ability to “interview” while conversing with management teams of prospective target opportunities. Especially in the early stages when owners and their teams could be intimidated, you can make them feel at ease while still soliciting the necessary information
Please send your resume and cover letter to our recruitment partner at firstname.lastname@example.org
If you apply through LinkedIn, please note that LinkedIn only allows you to attach one file to your application, so be sure to combine your cover letter and resume into a single document.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Market Maker values diversity and is committed to fostering an environment of inclusion and equity. We strongly encourage applicants from diverse backgrounds to apply.
We are proud to accommodate individuals with disabilities throughout the recruitment and selection process. Please include accommodation requests in your application.